Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Stay in Character!

You know when we train (and pay for) actors to study 'real' acting most have a problem staying in character for more than just a few seconds. For most as soon as they finish talking or listening, they drop their character altogether.
Read what DAVID OYELOWO says about staying in character.



“I stayed in character for the three weeks we shot Nightingale and for the three months we shot Selma,” he explains. “Ava [DuVernay] would call me out of the blue at times just to check — I think she was shocked that I was going to go through with this. This is how bad it got: I remember, my wife, we were moving house at the time and my wife called me and said, “So what do you think? Should we go for the gray curtains or the brown?” And I literally went, [in the voice of King] “Well, I think we should …” and she went, “Stop! Stop! I cannot talk curtains with Dr. King, we’re going to pick this up afterwards. What on earth are you doing?” So that was the moment I thought, “OK, I’m all the way in, here.” But yes, I just felt, for me, personally, I just felt you can’t half-do Dr. King.” 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home